Thursday, November 23, 2006

Giving Thanks

We can give thanks that we know some kids like the one who has let us share his essay with you. Sure, some school essay assignments are trite, milking the children to learn to regurgitate whatever the teacher wants to hear, so read with care to see the real kid inside this one. Is he speaking his truth or the regurgitated truth his teacher wanted to hear? You decide.

Student-in-the-World
As a student in the world and an American citizen, I am entitled to my own choices, and am given protection. Along with these rights, I am also given many responsibilities that must be upheld to exercise my individual freedom. These responsibilities include protecting my rights, being an active member of the community, giving back, and meeting my personal and professional goals.
The rights that come with being an American citizen are what we practice on a daily basis. These include the freedom of speech, the freedom of assembly, the freedom of religion, and the freedom of the press. Young people have the right to education, and are open to unlimited opportunity as long as it is law abiding. In order to exercise these rights we also have to take action and uphold our responsibilities. This means we must obey the set up laws of government, and practice treatment that is found in successful community life. Qualities of this treatment include tolerance, helpfulness, and consideration to thy neighbor. It is also important that people in the community reach out to help others when in need, and when action needs to be taken to better situations of families in the communities.
As a citizen, I am also responsible for protecting my rights. This can be accomplished by voting for a political party or ideal, and by keeping a watchful eye out for corruption and individual abuse of power. Protection of rights in America also means taking a stand, and making sure that all people are receiving equal treatment from employees and other people.
As an American, giving back to the community is also a crucial responsibility. This means it is important to volunteer and jump into active community projects. This support triggers positive development and change for the future. It also allows community life to be positive and fulfilling. This creates growth of a tighter knit community, and allows a diverse community to be created. Involvement also sparks growth of tolerance and openness that may not be present without involvement of a larger number of people. It is also important to strengthen the community economically; this can be achieved by shopping locally and supporting local businesses. These businesses can turn around and help support community projects. I give to the community through volunteering. In the National Honor Society I volunteer with Dickens of a Christmas, and help out with the annual book sale at the Timberland Library in Ocean Park. I have also volunteered and helped the wildlife refuge host their fourth grade field trip at the Willapa Wildlife Refuge. Economically I give to the community by shopping at small businesses in our area.
The personal goals I plan to achieve in my life are having a family, and being able to stay close to my parents and brothers. Professionally, I would like to graduate from college and become a pediatrician so that I can help sick children. The first couple of years after high school I plan to go to college, and work during the summer breaks to start me toward that goal.

2 comments:

Undercover Mother said...

What really struck me about this is that I wonder how many kids are just this good, but won't go to college. My opinion is that a college education should be every bit as free as the first 12 years. It used to be in California, but it's far from that now. Just as there are private schools in the elementary through high school level, there could still be the prestigious private colleges. But some people can't get it through thier heads how much that investment would pay off.

I hope this clearly extraordinary young person gets all he needs to complete that goal. I wonder what my husband's life would have been like if he had gotten that chance.

Sydney & Sidney Carton said...

mom of three, you are so correct. I concur on all of your points.

It is hoped that this young man can continue his education after high school -at the moment the future does not look bright. Our financial aid packages for education have been drastically cut. To force this generation into a specific direction? Most probably, but whose and where?